Saturday, June 11, 2011

All good things...

It's been an extraordinarily long time since I've even come to this page, so it's likely that my message today is long anticipated.  It is for me, anyways. 


I began this project because I had a passion for games and I felt like it was my duty as a gamer to inform the world what people like me really think about games and gaming as culture.  It's been a tumultuous time, with things like Kinect on the rise, and with the Wii U unveiled at E3 it's clear that the future of gaming as I know and love it is very much up in the air.  Thus it's more important now than ever before that I do all I can to make my voice heard and ensure that me, and fellow gamers like me do not get swept out of the way of video gaming.

With this mission in mind, it quickly became clear that this forum was not the most efficient way to do that.  While this blog has given me the opportunity to share my thoughts, my lack of knowledge of the internet as a being and how to take advantage of it meant that I was unable to reach people in the quantity that I would have liked (in fact, I'm pretty sure the only people who EVER read this were those I directed here personally). 

A few months ago I made the decision to branch out and join forces with fellow like-minded gamers who had a similar mission.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much success I've since had in connecting with those who have similar ideas and goals to mine.  My original plan was to work with these people while simultaneously maintaining Force Feedback, using the experience I gained to grow this project into the forum it was meant to be.  Unfortunately, time, life, and other things have gotten in the way and it turns out that this was not realistic.  In the end, I decided that moving forward was best and I have made the decision to lay Force Feedback to rest.

While this project may have been short-lived, I in no way view it as a failure.  While I may not have generated the response I would have hoped for, I have learned invaluable lessons about games journalism, and have been given incredible opportunities to connect with others and share my views on a much larger scale, the way I always wanted.  These opportunities simply would not have been possible without Force Feedback opening the door for me. 

While I'm shutting the book on this particular project, I will still be very active (perhaps even more active) in the games journalism community.  My current undertaking is to get Pixels or Death off of the ground - you can keep track of our progress at http://pixelsordeath.tumblr.com.  I hope that anybody who may have waywardly stumbled upon this page accidentally appreciates my overall vision and understands that this is the only way to move forward, and to really accomplish what it was I set out to do in the first place. 

Please don't feel bad for Force Feedback - as my first major web project, she'll always hold a special place with me.  I know this is what she would have wanted.

Onwards and Upwards,

PWL

No comments:

Post a Comment